I am a big fan of DIY beauty products. I can afford a readymade moisturizer or mask but I definitely prefer to play at my “home lab”.
Benefits of homemade cosmetics are worth noting:
- the choice of ingredients is up to you
- formula is all-natural
- lack of preservatives and potential allergens
- definitely more budget-friendly than readymade products
- you can customize and use them in different ways
Considering the number of benefits, I feel like sharing one of my favorite recipes for homemade cosmetics: recipe for face oil. Not a casual oil, but a game-changing nourishing blend that has amazing smell and, hopefully, will leave your complexion, moisturized, nourished, super smooth and glowing.
Face oil – properties and effects
Let me start with the benefits of using oils on facial skin. Some of you have never used this type of product, which is a pity because oils are extremely powerful!
The key fact is oils are emollient substances that strengthen the skin’s hydro-lipid mantle. In other words, they prevent loss of moisture in a natural way. You probably know the importance of water for the skin. Oils are natural hydrating boosters.
Obviously, face care oil displays more properties.
- It provides the skin with precious nutrients.
- It soothes irritations and redness.
- It enhances natural skin repair and keeps complexion young.
- It has antioxidant properties, fighting free radicals.
- It protects against UV.
- It brings back smoothness, softness, and glow.
DIY: recipe for face care oil
Of course there are ready-made face oils at the stores but the thing is you can’t control what’s inside. The product may contain preservatives, synthetic colorants, and aromas which cause irritations, particularly on sensitive skin. That is why homemade face oil is more skin-friendly. Natural, simple ingredients without needless additives. How to prepare one? Let me show you it is effortless.
Essential ingredients for your DIY face oil:
- carrier oil – I use jojoba oil; grapeseed, almond, sunflower, argan oils work well too
- nourishing oil – avocado oil (7-vitamin oil) is my love; wild rose or evening primrose oil is suitable too
- essential oil – I suggest mixing lavender and geranium oil but feel free to try other essential oils
Now, you simply mix all oils: 2 spoons of carrier oil with 1 spoon of nourishing oil plus 2-3 drops of each essential oil. Pour the mixture into a dark glass bottle to keep it safe from the sunlight. Enjoy using your all-natural face oil.
How to use face care oil?
No matter if it’s homemade or not, you use it the same way, which is an easy way!
Obviously you need to prep the skin, namely, remove make-up, cleanse the face, use a toner. Adding serum really pays off; I usually apply hydrating hyaluronic serum. Just keep in mind one thing: oil can replace moisturizer but it cannot replace face serum which is the one that enhances the innermost layers of skin. Once the skin is primed, take some oil, pat it gently on massaging the face to stimulate blood flow and plump the face a bit.